Mechs & Mercs: Black Talons is a real time tactics game where the player leads a company of mercenaries in a war torn star system. As the commander, the player must manage the company by hiring new troops, buying new equipment for the Battlecruiser that serves as a mobile base for the unit, buying mechs, choosing which contracts to accept and what path to follow.
Units are persistent: infantry squads earn experience that unlocks powerful skills and abilities. Mech pilots are able to operate heavier mechs with each level of experience.
The campaign unravels itself in 15 story driven missions. But there are optional contracts available too. By accepting these contracts, the player earns more credits that can be used to strengthen the company. Accepting optional contracts (missions) will also change the balance of power in the system. When the player gets closer to a particular faction, he’s also becoming an enemy of that faction’s rival.
Specialist units will be available to recruit from allied factions. But their enemies will target the player, showing up during regular missions and attacking his troops.
PLATFORMS: PC / Mac
YEAR OF RELEASE: 2015
The Black Talons are stranded on the Oberon system. Their contractor – the Noctae Republic – has been defeated, its homeplanet occupied.
The Oberon system is now a hostile place, with its only exit heavily protected by Tzanari ships.
To make things worse, the Tzanari are now hunting everyone (including mercenary units) that supported the Noctae Republic.
The only way to escape the system is to help the Noctari retake their planet and defeat the invasion force.
But the Noctae Republic and the Tzanar Union are not the only players in the system. There are other factions pursuing their own agendas, that might become allies or enemies of the Black Talons.
It’s up to the player to decide who to help, and who to attack.
Of course that all actions have consequences.
- Persistent and customizable squads
- Upgradeable and unique (per class) skill tree for all units
- Customizable mechs
- Different Worlds with unique environments.
- Customizable Battlecruiser. The Battlecruiser serves as the base of operations, and can be customized with weapons or infrastructures that will boost the squad numbers, teleport soldiers or even bombard the battlefield.
- Faction relations.
- Different unit classes with specialized roles
- Campaign. The actions of the player directly affect the balance of power on the system. There is one main objective to achieve, but there’s much more to do.